Tuesday, January 03, 2006

new years.......

I guess it's time for me to come out from hiding and write a blog.
Well ---- here I am. It's a new year and no, this isn't one of my new year's resolutions. :) I'm home for the holidays and spending time with family is wonderful. I think it's one of the few places where I feel completely comfortable and at ease and that's a nice feeling. My sister is home which is absolutely fantabulous!! I missed her soooo much over the year --- but I think the year was really good experience for both of us because I think we grew tighter through emailing and calling. But it was a long year.. and it's really nice to have her back. She's probably my closest friend in the world -- I can tell her anything -- and even though we fight now that she's home (you need physical contact in order to fight.. it's hard to fight over the phone) I love knowing that's she's around and I can talk to her.
Yet being at home can also be frustrating. Really frustrating. I guess because I'm realizing that I never feel completely satisfied when I'm with friends. It's really frustrating when you never feel satisfied about yourself when you're with the people you care about. Like on New Years, I went to hang out with friends that I've had since grade 9/10 -- somewhere in there, a good 6 years anyways....... and yet whenever I see them, I still feel like I'm visiting. I'm never IN. The big thing is always that they're going to make a movie or start a theatre company........... I'm a theatre major and yet they haven't seriously asked me to be apart of this ... while many of their other friends get asked at random... Okay, I'm not upset about not being in a theatre company or anything like that because there's a good chance this thing will never get off the ground.... but for once I'd like to feel INCLUDED. I hate the fact that when I'm with them alot of the time I'm wanting to be someone else --- not ME. And this is a horrible thing. I love these people very dearly, and maybe that's why I haven't just given up. It's odd when through out whole evening one of the best conversation I had was with someone whom I haven't even known that long when I'm surrounded by people who I've known for a long time. It's just frustrating when you know that if you were a different personality or if you changed where you live, they would probably finally ACCEPT you and want to be around you --- and yet that SHOULDN'T matter. Grrr.. Lord help me deal with my insecurities.
Anyways, I'm looking forward to going back to Redeemer though school will be really busy..... but I love nothing better than delving myself into something that I'm so passionate about. I love theatre so much and I'm truely thankful to God that he's put that passion in my heart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

steph!
you are there! you do exist! okay, no excuses. there are no shows wrapping up right now.. no exams.... lets get together!
i miss you!! you have my number!!
Danielle

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph,

Belonging is a crazy thing, It reminds me of being in Taiwan a bit. I knew I was welcome there but never really felt like I belonged. I think everyone goes through this from time to time. And like you I've been kind of going through it again recently with my return. Slowly working your way into places of trust. Or trying to reconnect where day to day connection has disapeared. It's sad but I suppose picking and choosing where you belong needs to be done. We will all have our places. those that protect us an that we fit snugly in and those like shells or skins that we have outgrown and no longer (and sometimes for very good reasons don't belong in.

Keep smiling, you belong

Jonathan said...

Hey Steph,
thanks for posting on my blog. It's exciting, yes, but London fringe is (if you can believe it) actually REALLY easy to get in to. You just show up by a certain time and Voila. Easy.

And YES! I'd love to get your feedback. I'd love to get the opinion of a talented playwright/director/actor's-- just a warning though, my first drafts are TERRIBLE (no really, they make you sick.) So don't eat before you read it.

I'm sorry Steph.
Thank you for this honest blog and again,I'm sorry you felt estranged from your old friends. I enjoyed talking with you and I respect your opinions and wish you could have said more.

I don't know if a theatre company will get off the ground. It's a running joke that if you don't know what to do--"start a theatre company!" then everyone erupts in bitter laughter because they know that twenty some years ago that was them.

I suppose all it takes is alot of love, a little faith, and a lottery ticket. (that or expereince). I suppose we can only work and pray.
What do you think? (really.)

Happy new year, Steph. I'll see you in Hamilton. Maybe soon.

bethnoelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.