Monday, September 04, 2006

My first film. Is not quite done.

I have just finished shooting my first five minute film! Go me.... how stressful. But now that it's over, I'm sitting in my living room with two of my roomies, watching the blinds gently move in the breeze, and relaxing. It's sooo wonderful. I just finished watching Ikiru by Kurosawa.. it was really interesting... Christy has been reading a book that we used in my shoot yesterday called "Teenage Romance, or how to Die of Embarrassment"..... it is so funny... it looks kind of like a kid's book but there's some rather...uh.... interesting stuff in there. It's keeping us entertained.
Friday we went to a taping of Brad Garnett's (the brother on Everyone Loves Raymond) new show "Til Death". It was really fascinating to watch how everything works and to see the actors go through the scenes. Brad Garnett is super tall. Crazy really. It kind of made me think that acting for tv is not really all that hard. I mean, it is, in a sense... but seriously... they do so many takes and they have alot of cameras so they can hide screwups.... but I guess it's not really a matter of whether it's hard or not...... it's a matter of who you know.
Saturday was spent helping my friend Tabitha on her shoot. She needed a party scene, so a group of us went to where she was shooting and spent the day there. We met a LAFSC alumni who has been on the last two seasons of Star Trek and has done some other stuff.. nothing major, mostly little stuff... but it was still cool. Then Sat. night we went to the Hollywood Bowl to see John Williams in concert. The Hollywood Bowl is huge... it's this concert space that is outside and built up the side of the mountain. Artists perform under this big dome like structure at the bottom. It was so cool. I was sitting there thinking: "I am sitting at the Hollywood Bowl, under the Hollywood sign, listening to John Williams conduct the Star Wars theme -- it doesn't get much better".. He did some more obscure stuff at the beginning but he also did Fiddler on the Roof, Jaws (they showed footage of the movie to go with the music and I screamed when the shark came out of the water.. everyone around me made fun of me because the screen is so far away..... I hate sharks!!), Star Wars, Superman, Jurassic Park, Memoirs of a Geisha, and Indiana Jones... it was so great.
Sunday we went to church at Ecclesia, the church I'm calling home while here in LA, and saw both Tony Hale and Danny Bonaduce so that was kind of fun. But the worship and the sermon were sooo great. The pastor preaching that day (there are 5 pastors and they switch around) was so completely excited about what it means to forgiven by God. She just made everything so fresh and new... it was so refreshing. After church, me and some of my roomies got everything together and from 3 till 8:30 we shot my film! It was nuts. It was so new to me, but thankfully the people helping me out knew quite a bit so they were helping me out. I had so many things go wrong with this first film it was crazy. But that's another story for another day. Let's just say that even though I have now a week to edit it, this is the first time I haven't felt completely stressed out roughly since I got here... this first film was such a weight! I would have shot it today since we have today off... but one of my actors actually had to go to his internship today.. so sunday it was.
Anyway, I'm on my roomie's lappy becuase my internet card isn't working (my life in a nutshell .. I don't know why everything messes up for me) .... so I should let her have this back.
Maybe I'll go watch another movie or hit downtown LA... there's an amazing music store here that I still have to check out.

1 comment:

Brett Alan Dewing said...

Wow. You are So Cool! I am jealous.... (I know, you'll never get sick of hearing that.) I LOVE the scores to Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Memoirs of a Geisha! And I SOO want to hit up LA record stores!!