Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Miss Stephanie Woodsworth

Why couldn't I have been born into a British aristocratic household of the 1800's??? This truely puzzles me. I am currently taking British Literature and the more novels I read and the more movies I watch of that time period (Emma, Jane Eyre, Persuasion, Portrait of a Lady etc) the more I believe I was born in the wrong century. How I pine for the curteous chivalry that seems to have all but dissappeared in our day in age! To have nothing to do but paint and read literature and walk through the extensive and beautiful grounds of your luxurious home, with a wonderful British gentleman on your arm who is trying to win your affections in such a polite and chivalrous manner and who speaks in such an aristocratic form of English and with such a charming accent! sigh. Of course much of this picture of life is Hollywoodized and there would be the problematic 17th/18th century views of females in society to deal with (if Jane Austen could break free from the mold so could I!) .. but still. I would not complain with having a Mr. Knightley on my arm or having a man stand up on my entering the room or having men refer to me as Miss Elgersma (um, well, the Elgersma will have to go obviously.. I can not be aristocratically British with a Dutch name, especially a Friesan one. Maybe I'll be Miss Woodsworth or Miss Elliot ... delightful ... Miss Stephanie Woodsworth).
It is a truely sad state that I am in... Perhaps that is why I am a theatre major.. I can reenter the century that I was supposed to live in. It will be a reawakening... I will be home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Preposterous, that' s scrupulously what I was seeking in requital for! You principled saved me alot of manoeuvre
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]