Sunday, October 17, 2004

Theatre: the world as we imagine it to be...

How much do I love the theatre. This past weekend, a group of my theatre friends and I decided that we were going to have a theatre weekend. What an AWESOME idea. On friday night we all went to see Ovid's "Metamorphoses" at Theatre and Company. I enjoy Theatre and Company. I had already seen the play (it's a string of myths about love of different kinds) but the second time was just as fabulous as the first. Of course I didn't have as good of seats as the first time... but it was okay.. I could still see all the people flesh that graced the stage (and there was lots of flesh! :P). The set was a big pool which was just fabulous -- provided such creativity and beautful movement that just isn't capable with a normal set. Jealousy burned. I want to play in a pool on a stage.
The next day (after an emotionally and physically exhausting rehersal for Perfect Pie) the same troup of us (plus two more -- one of my friends, Sharon, and another friend) went to the opening night performance of Donizetti's "Don Pasquale" at Opera Hamilton.. I love Opera!!!! I honestly think it is a wonderful form of entertainment. The first act wasn't quite up to snuff to me, in terms of quality of acting... but the singing through out the whole opera was BEAUTIFUL. It had some wonderful chorus numbers and the leads had some fabulous ensemble pieces. The acting did pick up so that was good. I don't know if this opera was better than "Barber of Seville" because Seville was my first opera, and I think that the story line of Seville was funnier and it had one character that was funny through out the opera. "Don Pasquale" didn't really have that... but it definately had its moments that were just wonderful. I mean I completely loved the opera, just in comparison.... We also got to go backstage and walk through the FABULOUS sets -- it was all wild wild west... definately cool.
Anyways.... theatre theatre theatre.... and I only spent 35 dollars in total! Yeah for student tickets and having connections. I love connections.
This morning I drove to St. Thomas with my sister to catch up with the music group 'North of OK' .. they were doing a worship service there and it was also the church that I went to Kansas (where NofOK is from) with, on a SERVE project. Catching up with people is a wonderful thing. Often times rather awkward, but still wonderful.
Sigh. What a wonderful weekend. Too bad I have to leave my theatre fantasy world for another week of classes, papers and torture. Thank goodness I still have Josh Groban to keep me happy. mmmmmm

No comments: